10 things I hate about Tinnitus and Hyperacusis

It's a Balancing Act: I have to listen to things loud enough that it masks my 24/7 tinnitus, but low enough it doesn't cause pain and flareup my hyperacusis.

Loss of Concentration: Tinnitus has a way of interfering with one's ability to focus and concentrate. I find it very difficult to read a book. These days, I've taken to magazines. They have photos, graphs, recipes, and get to the point in 300 - 500 words or less.

Can You Say Solitary Confinement:
That's what it feels like to have Hyperacusis. Those who have the condition like myself can find restaurants loud and painful. A trip to the grocery store torture from all the scanning (BEEP, BEEP, BEEP) and watching a movie out of the question, depending on your severity of the condition.

Taking Part in Large Meetings: If things get rowdy, it all becomes a jumbled mess. Confusion sets in as if someone swatted a beehive. All the sounds in the room swarms to your head all at once and my brain can't filter it properly. Even one on one conversations can be difficult with tinnitus.

Telephone Use: There are some people I have no issue speaking on the phone with especially if it's someone I know. However, the way a person speaks or even the tone of their voice can cause difficulties when having tinnitus and hyperacusis. One's voice can be amplified and painful or a conversation can be difficult to understand or even hear.

Is There Really Such a Thing as Being too Quiet: If you have tinnitus, yes! A quiet room can make one's tinnitus seem much louder. This can be anything but relaxing and downright irritating.

When Your Sleep Pattern Changes:
We weren't all perfect sleepers before tinnitus and hyperacusis, but it can be a real challenge to get a good night's sleep. That ringing in the ears can wake you repeatedly never allowing you the deep sleep, everyone needs. Sometimes everything you try from white noise, pink noise, low television, nature sounds can be a challenge in itself if your hyperacusis spikes. Again, it's a balancing act one constantly struggles with.

Daily Activities can be a Struggle: When you have amplified hyperacusis, sounds seem louder than what it is. Be it the gravel under tires as a car passes by, raindrops on an umbrella, to the sound of running water, dishes clanging, silverware, or vacuuming.

When Doctors Brush it off Like it's no Big Deal: I think many will agree with this one. We've all heard doctors say, "Everyone has ringing in the ears these days" or " You just need to learn to live with it". The fact is not all people have severe tinnitus or 24/7 tinnitus. Many experience for a few brief seconds what is known as a sudden ringing in the ears that goes away. Well, let me tell you that's NOTHING like severe tinnitus or 24/7 ringing in the ears you can't escape. And telling someone with this form of tinnitus to live with it, is one of the main reasons suicide is on the rise. These people can feel hopeless and trapped in their own head.

Tinnitus and Hyperacusis are What is Known as Invisible Disabilities: This can be very frustrating because many don't take you seriously if they can't see your disability. However, both these conditions can cause huge ramifications in one's lives; loss of jobs, divorces, crippling effects to daily activities, as well as the physical, mental, and spiritual toll it takes on a person.

If you're struggling to adapt there is help out there. My name is Wendy Spickerman and I'm an American Tinnitus Association Network Volunteer. I provide non-medical support to those in need. You can contact me at wspickerman@yahoo.com

How I Made My Disability a Positive Part of My Life





Comments

  1. What's up i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this paragraph i thought
    i could also create comment due to this sensible article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I would like to say great blog! I had a quick question in which
    I'd like to ask if you don't mind. I was curious to know how you center
    yourself and clear your thoughts before writing. I have had difficulty clearing my mind in getting my thoughts out there.
    I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to
    15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any suggestions or hints?
    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not even understand how I ended up right here, but I assumed this publish used to be great.
    I don't know who you might be but definitely you're going
    to a well-known blogger for those who aren't already.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after browsing through some of the
    post I realized it's new to me. Nonetheless, I'm definitely happy I found it and I'll be book-marking and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts
    on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually
    stumbled upon this website. Studying this information So
    i am happy to show that I've a very excellent uncanny feeling I discovered just
    what I needed. I such a lot indubitably will make
    certain to don?t put out of your mind this site and provides it a glance regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts